When a policy owner decides to explore whether selling a life insurance policy is a good option for their unique circumstances, the owner or his/her financial advisor should start the process by contacting a member of the Life Insurance Settlement Association who is either a life settlement broker or provider.
- Life settlements can be complex financial transactions and are generally conducted on behalf of clients by experienced professional advisors.
- When representing a client, financial professionals have a duty to represent the best interests of that client.
- Compensation for service can be paid by fee or, if licensed, by commission.
- Financial professionals recognize that life settlement regulation varies by state. It is important to know which laws and regulations – if any – apply in your state.
It’s possible to sell your policy through a Life Settlement Broker or Provider
Life Settlement Brokers:
- Connects the sellers of an insurance policy with buyers.
- They represent the policy owner and negotiate the offer that best serves the needs of the seller, which may be accepted or rejected by the policy owner.
- They owe a fiduciary duty to the policy owner.
- A Broker does not include an attorney, certified public accountant or financial planner retained in the type of practice customarily performed in their professional capacity to represent the owner whose compensation is not paid directly or indirectly by the Provider.
Life Settlement Provider:
- Specializes in purchasing life insurance policies in the life settlement market.
- Providers normally raise capital from institutional investors.
- Working directly with a provider may eliminate intermediaries and expedite the transaction.
Speak with a Life Settlement Professional
Stay Informed of Industry News
Consumers were paid over $750 Million by LISA Members for the sale of their unwanted life insurance policies
On May 3, the Life Insurance Settlement Association (LISA) released findings from its 2021 Annual Market Data Collection Survey. The data collected represents summary closing…
The Evolution of Regulations that have Benefited the Consumer
The life settlement industry was born in 1911 when Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. and his fellow justices ruled that life insurance is…
Combating Inflation with Life Settlement Earnings
Everything is getting more expensive these days. Gas prices are higher, food prices are higher, used car prices are higher—it seems like nothing right now…
How Did Insurance Policy Owners Earn $848 Million in 2020?
It’s true—according to “The Life Settlements Report” released by The Deal, 3,241 people sold their life insurance policies in 2020 for a combined total of…